When you are told that you have 3
midterms coming up in the next couple weeks how do you feel? What is that
feeling boiling inside of you? It is STRESS! Stress and mental fatigue (direct
attention fatigue DAF) can be confused but it is important to remember that
they are not one in the same. Stress comes from the anticipation of an event or
deadline while as DAF is caused by the exertion of attention that has already
taken place and can also come from doing an enjoyable task. The concept that
Direct Attention pertains to is the kind of attention you really have to push
for, like reading textbook material or solving a compositional problem in a
painting. After an hour of these kind of active engagements you might say, “wow
my head hurts!” This is you reaching your max direct attention capacity. After a
long day of work, coming home to homework and then writing this blog post, it is
quite difficult to write something profound while fatigued. I feel unfriendly
at the loud girls in my hall and feel as if I am alone. Will I ever be nice to
them again and feel myself? Why do people get fatigued in the first place?
What should I do if I have no more attention left
for completing a task? Well, the worst thing I could do is keep going after establishing
that I am fatigued, because, it will take up more effort than ever before and I
will never be kind again. This type of abuse to my brain calls for restoration!
If I were to live on fatigued I would act irresponsibly, have very little compassion,
and nobody, not even my mom, would want to be my friend.
Studies have found that the best
way to restore direct attention (so I won’t lose friends) is through the
repetition of micro restoration that consist of involuntary fascinations
including, nature. Perhaps that is why we fatigue so often, because nature isn’t
close, at least not as close as it use to be. But aren’t we a part of nature?
When did we begin to separate ourselves from the rest of the world? Maybe it
was after we claimed ourselves as the dominant species and neglected the things
that helped support our wellbeing. Being back in nature for about ten minutes at
a time can do wonders to clearing your head and solving internal problems and
feeling calm. After doing this, I feel back like my own self.
To prevent getting completely
fatigued I could have wise management. This when one chooses an environment
that eliminates distractions and decreases unnecessary efforts. Mindfulness (concept
of self awareness, observing the present, and building mental models in calm
settings) could pair nicely with restoration and preventing fatigue. With
mindfulness comes observation usually in a more natural setting. This kind of
attention to the environment makes us aware again that we are apart of the
sounds and smells, that we are a part of nature. It can be quite easy to start,
just don’t think of it as being a monk only club, but as a five-minute self
healing session. This can consist of soft chimes from a phone app or sitting
outside and listening to the sound of wind, letting internal thoughts come and
go.
So start tonight, pause the busy
day of stress and fatigue, sit down comfortably, and breath.
No comments:
Post a Comment