Friday, November 25, 2016

Coping Interpretation: Graduation Edition

Coping is something that we do often as humans when we are put in situations that we cannot control or aren't comfortable in. Sometimes in the situation, its all about how we interpret things. I have found this very useful in the realm of graduation. This is my last year here at this wonderful university and I've been trying to enjoy myself all while impending adulthood has been looming over my shoulder. At first, I was terrified. I have been in school since I was in Pre-K and the thought of not having to take a class, write an essay, take an exam, fill out a FAFSA, etc. was refreshing yet scary. I don't know how to be an adult. I don't know how to pay bills, file taxes, budget, or any of the things that adults are supposed to be able to do. Needless to say, I was panicking. But something in me was forcing me to find some solutions, some clarity to ease my troubled brain. And what I discovered was the power of reinterpretation. Once, I decided to change how I viewed my situation, I realized that impending adulthood wasn't so scary at all. One interpretive strategy that I have used and found very helpful is discussing my situations with others who have been in my position. They helped me to understand that graduating was not as scary as one might think, its actually very liberating. Others have helped me to see that after graduation I am free to do what it is that i want. I can travel, go to grad school, get a job, etc. The possibilities are endless. I also had to realize that there are just some things that you simply cannot control, and thats very helpful in and of its self. Interpretive strategies have been very helpful for me and hopefully they can help others as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment